Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I Don't Eat Animals!


I should have seen it coming after we finished Charlotte's Web: the X-Man has turned vegetarian. But of course, being X, his version of vegetarianism is a little twisted. He's still happily downing Jimmy Dean sausage patties and roasted chicken. What he has sworn off is shapes. It started like this:

X's beloved dance teacher, the lovely Miss Kimberly, got married recently and went to Australia for her honeymoon. Upon her return she presented each of her students with a small goodie bag of koala items. There was a wonderful photo her holding a koala, a koala bear sticker and a chocolate carmel candy wrapped in paper decorated with a koala. After lunch that day, I told X he could have his candy so he unwrapped it. Then he got this horrified look on his face and yelled "I don't eat animals!!!" I looked at the chocolate and sure enough it was shaped like a cute little koala bear. X insisted on rewrapping it, tucking it away in the treat drawer and declared he would only look at it, not eat it because "I don't eat animals!"

I figured it was a one-off--it was a very cute koala bear to be sure. But yesterday I came back from Trader Joe's with cheese crackers shaped like birds. At snacktime I offered some to X and he got a look on his face that was at once tolerant (of his dim mother) and somewhat disturbed (by my suggestion, presumably) while patiently explaining that he "doesn't eat animals."

This morning at breakfast over his Jimmy Deans he asked me if they are meat. But since sausage just looks like sausage and not like an animal, he kept eating despite my affirmative answer. I asked him if he's a "shapetarian" and we got into a discussion of vegetarians and what they do or don't eat. And in the car a few times, after reading Charlotte's Web, he had some very pointed questions about pigs, slaughter and pork. I think there's some deep conflict brewing in him--his love of sausage pitted against his love of animals. I'll keep you posted. I have a feeling the taste buds will win this one though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, now this is hilarious. Do you think the seed was planted when the kids were beating the dog pinata senseless at T's 2nd birthday party??

Unemployed Nurse Jack said...

We're wrestling with this at our house, too. Ever since DS read Charlotte's Web, he's been even more anti-piggy in his food choices than ever.

My bigger issue is with DD. She has a teacher (and his wife who also teaches at the school) who is vegan. Instead of embracing his choice and respecting the choices of others, he's one of those disparaging, holier-than-thou vegan observers.

I don't mind my DD learning about veganism through him and his wife, but I do wish they would not be so condescending about it in light of the fact their audiences are impressionable middle-schoolers who want to be cool like them.

My point is, when you talk to her about not eating animals, teach her about how much work is involved to make balanced food choices when meat and animal products are eliminated. How does one fulfill dietary needs and with what kinds of products?

This adventure has turned my already-picky eater into a budding vegetarian who hates most vegetables. The girl picks at meat on her plate, but doesn't give me any options for what is an acceptable substitute that she likes. Clearly, this isn't going to work well.

At an age where girls are already talking about who's fat and comparing jean sizes, I don't need any further erosion in my 'eating to be healthy and loving your body' parenting.

Keep us posted on the "Save Charlotte" front.