Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I Don't Eat People

An update on the "I don't eat animals" issue, for those who asked.

Apparently, the rule extends to food items shaped like people. X got a Santa shaped maple candy for Christmas (maple candy--a big tradition in my family). I pulled it out the other night for a treat and he was, of course, appalled. He pushed it back at me, leveled me with the "which part of this don't you understand?" stare and said "Mom, I don't eat people either."

However, he has bent the rule for Bunny Grahams, probably because Miss Z was eating them. So he's a flexible shapetarian (similar to the flexible vegetarian I was when I lived in France).

On the sausage front, sausage consumption has slowed down. I am unclear as to the reasons--if it is true vegetarianism rearing its head, or actual burn out after months of daily Jimmy Deans. There's an interest in where the food we eat comes from. We took a short break from Roald Dahl to read a little M.F.K. Fisher --her essay on escargot (and I'm not sure how we got on the snail topic, but he's wisely decided not to eat those). And lots of questions about cows, chickens and venison. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: