Thursday, April 12, 2007

House

So Poppy, how are things going with the new house? (you may or may not be asking). Here's the status report:

* I am knee deep in paint colors. I love and hate this part of things. I wish I had a little more time to focus on it, because I do actually enjoy it. It's especially nice to hit it out of the park right off the bat--we found the perfect pale blue for the master bedroom. Ethereal, soothing, sophisticated. I let the X-Man choose his own paint colors. If you guessed something with orange, you're a winner. I have been trying to work from the new line of Benjamin Moore colors--low-odor, all the colors coordinate with each other (the Affinity collection of Aura paints). And no, I don't get a kickback for that there product placement. Anyway, I showed X the fan deck and he chose the orangest orange on there and a medium blue. And he got it right the first time--they're great colors and great together. His inspiration (clipped from Metropolitain Home) is a Todd Oldham room with very bright colors, a funky lamp, and a painting that reads Hotties 125 (X is pre-literate). So a chair rail for him with orange on the bottom and blue up to the ceiling. Miss Z's room is the one I'm agonizing over. It's a fairly bright aqua right now. Part of me wants to do over and tone down. And the other part of me knows that things like this actually work out. I don't have some grand plan for her room--I am trying to avoid that pink & lavendar, cottage, princess, shabby chic look (no offense to anyone). I'd like to go more boho and funky for her.

The trickiest color so far is what to do all the hallways and extra spaces in. I'm going down today to look at a green-blue-grey we chose to see how that's coming.

And we're going to try a chocolate brown for the dining room, with a blue-teal for the living room. I'll keep you posted on that.

* Tile is starting to go in. Woohoo.

* Cabinets are going in. The pantry is ginormous--making up for the seven years I've spent in hobbit pantry hell here.

* Driveway is going in soon. The brick patio in back and railing are done. The exterior is painted.

* Hardwood floors are in.

Not really a witty and scintillating post, but figured I'd do the update for any interested parties.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the blue and orange room, it sounds awesome. Soothing at night, fun by day.

What about some of that fabulous wallpaper you guys are using for Miss Z's room? Something marimekko-ish and bright? Just an idea. Good luck with the rest of the house, it sounds like it's going to be awesome.

Anonymous said...

I know "Hobbit pantry Hell" is not pretty, but "no pantry hell" is just downright ugly. I love you, Kiki